Monday, March 26, 2012

Chocolate Covered Corn Flakes

Chocolate-covered Corn Flakes
I will freely admit that I have, as they say, a bit of a sweet tooth. In fact, I have a mouthful of teeth and as my dentist can verify, they are quite a lot more than just "a bit" sweet. I'll grant you that this DOES have some influence on my overall girth, but I have been somewhat blessed in that despite my excessive consumption of unhealthy and fattening and tasty and gorgeous, I am still only slightly over weight.

This, then, allows me to spend my weekends (between cleaning house and whatnot) with my feet up in front of the TV, or in the kitchen making something fun.... to be consumed with feet up in front of the TV ;)

Today was a Sunday, and a typical one in that I was lazy. Where most people hate Mondays, I hate Sundays. Well no... I don't hate them.. they're just boring.
Anyway, as I lay on my couch and watched a movie, I thought that I would really enjoy something sweet and tasty. My cupboard is full of cookies and chocolate biscuits and candies and what have you, but nothing fit the craving I was having. I wanted non-milk chocolate (both for my lactose intolerance, and just for the taste) and all I had were milk chocolate products. I also wanted something quite sweet.

Being lazy didn't exactly inspire me to leave the apartment to buy something tasty, so I figured... "Hey! It's time you learn how to make something new and simple!".

And what could be simpler than this fabulously simple, yet tasty nugget of fun:

The Chocolate Covered Corn Flakes candies.

Ingredients:
There are precisely two ingredients:
  • A nice glob of regular, run-o-da-mill, sugary and sweet, Kellogg's® Corn Flakes.
    I measured it for fun and it's about 3.5 cups worth, or about 0.8 liters (It's volume, not weight, that counts, but it's about 130gr. if you want to know).
  • 400gr of nice dark (45+%) non-milk chocolate.
    I use the Icelandic Síríus Suðusúkkulaði. It's magnificent.
This yields somewhere around 30 candies (serving for one!), and can be sized up indefinitely ;)

Preparation:
Cut 300gr of the chocolate (or use these tiny chocolate droplets/pellets if you prefer) into small bits and put in a bowl to melt over a pot of hot water.
Once the chocolate reaches 45°C, take the bowl off the pot (be careful.. the escaping steam can burn!) and wipe the bottom dry (any water will ruin the chocolate) before pouring the chocolate into a cold/room temp bowl.. preferably one of metal.
Add a further 100gr of chocolate bits and let the whole thing melt while the mix cools down to 27°C (this takes about an hour in my home, because it's so hot in here :)
Once it reaches 27°C, pour it back into the other bowl, put it back on the pot (I just keep the pot running at lowest possible temp to maintain the water temp) and slowly heat the chocolate back up to 31°C, stirring it regularly.
Finally pour the gorgeous 31°C chocolate over the Corn Flakes and carefully fold the two together without crumbling all the Flakes :)

Sidenote:
Melting and Tempering chocolate can be done in many different ways, and my method is really a 'cheap' way out. It doesn't take too much time and effort, and it at least somewhat tempers the chocolate. I have done this without the tempering, but I find that the resulting chocolate lacks a certain 'crunch' (which I love) and is more messy and melts more easily (which I don't particularly love) so I try to temper it.


Beautifully golden mix. Very difficult not to eat.
Using a small spoon, scoop up the lovely mixture and put appropriate amounts in small cupcake forms. The amount in each form is basically dictated by how big/small you want your candies. Since I like them fairly bite-sized, I use the much smaller forms, or only half-fill standard cupcake forms.
Once that's done, throw the forms in the fridge for about an hour.






Once hardened, the dark chocolate gets... dark.
I prefer to eat them chilled and crunchy, while others might want to serve them at room temperatures. Either way, you're going to be messy and happy!





Enjoy!

Oh, and as a fun fact, here's the recipe's
Nutritional Information:
 

2 comments: