Monday, March 26, 2012

The kitchen - A place of construction (and destruction)

It will not surprise anyone that knows me when I say that I love to eat.

"Well yeah.. doesn't everybody?"

No.. not really. Some people just 'do it'. I love it :)

It's not that I'm a foodie or anything (a term I have just recently learned existed), but I love both making food and eating it.
I am also lazy!
So even though I love to cook, I usually can't be bothered. Mostly, though, it's because I live alone and honestly it's just not any fun cooking for one. That's when I resort to 10 minute pasta meals and burgers and simple and easy stuff like that. Not exactly the best for you, but it's loaded with energy at least and makes me happy :)

When I moved out from my parents' home, I bought an apartment that had a pretty decent kitchen, but I hadn't really discovered cooking so it was mostly wasted. Since I moved out here to Reykjavik I've lived in quite a few places that had inadequate kitchens, and my latest abode is no exception.

Alas, one does what one can with what one has at hand.

Before truly starting the blog, I wanted to share with you my vast and incredible kitchen. Here it is, in it's entirety :)

As you can see, I live in a tiny basement studio and there's absolutely no room for anything at all.

I did buy the fan over the stove, which gained me a shelf for my spices, but it sucks having the spices up there gathering fat... so they need to be cleaned quite regularly.

The stove is about as old as I am, but it does it's job flawlessly. The oven, too, is still working as it should, so I can't complain there. My freezer is about the size of a glove-compartment, which doesn't exactly help with the storage of leftovers and supplies. Then I have a total of two drawers, both tripple-stacked, and four small cupboards to store everything in.

It's tiny, it's hot, it's crusted with decades of dirt which won't come off, and I hate it.

But it's home, so what can you do? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment